Friday, June 22, 2012

JOURNEY TO A BIKE: FROM FEET TO WHEELS


Since high school, I've been 'the runner'. My little brother and I would get up at the crack of dawn every morning to race through our neighborhood, then I'd usually head back to the treadmills when the sun went down after a long day of school or work, and run again until I could barely walk. I ran marathons in Houston and Galveston, and then a few in New York- but haven't been pounding out footprint rhythms since early May, when I broke my ankle. It was bad enough when I was on crutches, but even when I could walk again I couldn't run. The doctor told me to be as active as I wanted, so long as it didn't involve too much stress on my ankle. It was driving me crazy- my legs felt achy from disuse, I couldn't sleep… then I slept too much. So I decided to talk to the doctor about rehab. He said my ankle was healing fantastically- but a stress fracture from running tends to discourage running in the future. I might get back into 5k's soon enough, but I doubt I'll be running any marathons in the near future… so I'm on the hunt for a bike.
I've started with the stationary bike at my gym, but I live in New York City- where's a better place to have a bike than Queens? It sure beats the bus, and it'll keep me active. So as of 48 hours ago, I've become a future cyclist- and I hope you all get a kick out of following my journey.

Don't just read along, though. Have any particularly wise tips about biking? Recommend one brand or model over another? What's your favorite diet to keep yourself from crashing after a 10-mile ride? Feel free to comment, suggest, and advise- and if you have any questions, feel free to ask those, too. Whether it's something I can already answer or something I'll happily try out to provide the info for you, we can all learn together.

Until next time- ride safely! 

No comments:

Post a Comment