Thursday, June 28, 2012

WEEK ONE: HOW DO I FIND A BIKE IN MY PRICE RANGE?

So I've spent the past week biking at the local gym on the stationary, and I think I'm ready to actually buy a bike. Key word- THINK. I haven't owned a bike since I was about fifteen. It was a teal, sturdy, shiny mountain bike- great for careening down flood ditches, not-so-great for actually getting anywhere. Ergo, my preliminary Wikipedia search on 'types of bikes'. I'm mildly overwhelmed. Just as subheadings, there are 3 different ways I can categorize the type of bike I want- FUNCTION, FRAME DESIGN, AND PROPULSION. Then, there's price ranges- according to my first few google searches, I could be spending anywhere from an entry-level $350-$400 on a TOURING BIKE, which I've determined is what I need, to somewhere in the horrifying four digits.

Of course, this is incredible in perspective- my first car, a silver 2001 Honda CR-V with a cassette player and a VERY loud air conditioner determined to blow every important receipt out the window, cost me a solid $9,000 used. Add in the gas I fed that thing weekly, and this is a bargain in comparison- but I'm happy to have an extra $300 at the end of the month to splurge on a new pair of J Brand skinnies, much less buy an adequate bike. Before my next post, I'll be making a trip to the downtown REI to find the bike for me- but first, I'm going to compile what's necessary in a bike and what's not. 

FIRST- MAKE SURE IT'S ACTUALLY THE TYPE OF BIKE YOU NEED. Unless you plan on high-speed chases down Henry St. or attempting to spend next summer touring the Appalachians, you don't need a fancy racing bike or a mountain bike. Cruisers are fine for most commuters- but touring bikes are made to carry more on the bike itself, and distribute the weight more evenly so you aren't dying as you push yourself that last mile from Trader Joe's to your apartment. Make sure you don't buy a touring bike if you never plan on carrying more than what you can fit on your back, and make sure you don't end up with the cutest little red cruiser if you're constantly going to be lugging things. 

SECOND- MAKE SURE YOU AREN'T SWAYED BY THINGS YOU DON'T NEED. In an article on Touring Bikes by John Schubert, he takes a stab at racing tires. 'The racer-wannabees in cycling have an irrational affection for skinny tires. Don’t
let them influence you'. He's right- skinny tires are going to get flying up 2nd Ave faster than sturdier tires, but they aren't going to be able to withstand the printer you strap to your back carriage next March when you move crosstown. On the other hand, Schubert recommends you add fenders to touring bikes that don't already have them. Make sure you don't waste money on things like a fancy-looking back rack that only clips onto the seat, since they can't carry much. Shop around, and make sure you're talking to someone who really cares about you and your bike. 

THIRD- TEST RIDE IT! Don't let anyone convince you to buy a bike before you've test-ridden it, no matter how friendly they seem. My dad never got why I always wore Nikes and my little brother always wore New Balance, but as a runner, I knew- you can't judge a shoe by the brand. Make sure the bike is actually right for you, or you'll have spent a pretty penny for nothing. 

Off to research some more! Ride on, catch ya on the flipside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment