Thursday, July 5, 2012

Scenic Sunday Ride - Seven Lakes Dr

As I stepped out my door into the humid summer air carrying my bike I thought I must be out of my mind! But, onward I went, loaded the bike onto the bike rack and headed out on what would become my first 20 mile ride. I pulled into the parking area for Lake Skannatati, late, and found my friend (K) in a nice shaded area, waiting. We didn't waste any time, got our bikes ready to go and off we went!

We headed southwest on Seven Lakes Dr, and took the 1st exit at the traffic circle onto CR 106W. We were approaching a lake and I noticed an artist set up on the edge of the lake painting an incredible landscape of what the sign would shortly tell us was Lake Kanawauke. We continued on our adventure and I noticed the lake was filled with Kayakers embarking on their own summer adventures. All I could do was smile! Continuing on and up hill, my friend called out, "Did you see that buck?" I of course was quite focused on getting up the hill and didn't have anything but the top in my eyesight. (TIP: While riding through beautiful scenery, remember to look up every once in a while!!). We made it to Little Long Pond, which has a nice little beach at the far end, and folks were taking advantage of natures swimming pool!

The next leg was a pretty steady incline which eventually came to a spot that overlooked Lake Stahahe. The beauty in making it to the top of a hill is what comes after...a much needed (at least for me) downhill coast!!! As we got to the bottom of the hill, K pulled off so I followed him. He had quite the smirk on his face and pointed up to the highway, "that's the thruway," he said. I had my own smirk and nodded. For those of you who don't know the area, we had two options. One, ride back up the long, windy, hilly road we came down. Or, take RT 17 down, and up its own hills to the other end of Seven Lakes Dr. Of course going back wasn't an option! We finally made it to Seven Lakes Dr, and found a shaded area to pull off for a well deserved break!

As we sat there catching up, our conversation was interrupted by the sound of distant thunder and a dark looking sky coming our way. "Looks like we'll be chasing the storm," I said. "More like the storm will be chasing us," K replied. And just like that, back on the bikes we got! What I didn't know, this part of Seven Lakes Dr. is pretty much one big steady incline. Slow and steady I thought, and I did...and a long while later after passing Lake Sebago, and the other end of Lake Kanawauke we saw signs for the traffic circle! Of course I found a sudden burst of energy at the end of this 20 mile ride, and sped on back to the parking area for Lake Skannatati.

If you aren't familiar with Harriman State Park or Seven Lakes Drive, I would suggest doing some exploring. Be sure to download the free cycling navigation app from Bikepath Country before you go and plan the perfect ride for you.

Bikepath Country App for Android:
Android App

Bikepath Country App for iPhone:
iPhone App

No comments:

Post a Comment