Thursday, August 16, 2012

Wanna Go Ride Bikes?

Remember when you were a kid, and you'd call up your friends to "go ride bikes"? Remember when you were an adult, and you did the same thing?!?!

What's the hardest part of exercising? For me it's the 'getting started' part! I, like many of us, sit for 8 hours a day at a desk job. And then, like many of us, I get home only to sit some more thinking, "It's too hot out for exercise...", or "I'm too tired...". Of course I'm exaggerating (or at least I like to tell myself that...).

Just yesterday, I was cleaning out the closet (which can be considered exercise to me!), and at the very bottom of the boxes and clutter, I found my old basketball. I knew what my next move was. Drop the boxes, grab the ball and head to the courts!!

It was that simple. An hour later I returned home feeling GREAT! That's when it hit me, exercise doesn't just mean running, walking, cycling, or going to the gym. It could also mean shooting some hoops, throwing a frisbee, throwing a baseball, dancing...etc. The key here is, you can get your exercise and enjoy it to. If running isn't your thing, then don't run! We tend to consider exercising, work. It doesn't have to be.

Now if you've read this far, you're thinking, yes, tell me something I don't know. And, honestly that's what I was thinking too. But, the truth is, we shouldn't look at exercise as a chore. We should focus in on activities that we enjoy. If you don't know what you enjoy, now is the perfect time to find out! It's summer, there are lots of groups you can join. Find a local hiking group, kayaking group, cycling group. Call up some friends and see who wants to throw a frisbee around. As we get older, we don't think to call up our friends and ask if they want to "come out and play" as we used to. But the question is, why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment